You don’t think about it directly: skiing at Lake Maggiore. Yet there are a number of destinations that promise you an unforgettable winter holiday. The two most visited and indispensable destinations of this are Mottarone and San Domenico, which can be easily reached on a day trip from Lake Maggiore.
This place offers a nice view of seven lakes (Lago Maggiore, Lake Orta, Lake Mergozzo, Lake Varese, Lake Camabbio, Lake Monate, Lake Biandronno) and the beautiful Alps. Mottarone is a small picturesque ski destination with great slopes and beautiful landscapes culmination of the place where skiing begins. You’ll get there by a 30-minute cable car ride from Carciano, near Stresa. Driving can also be: about 6 km from Stresa.
Mottarone has 21 km of pistes of varying degrees of difficulty. There are ski rental locations and it also has a number of restaurants and bars. Although snow is rare in Stresa, Mottarone, just half an hour away, is white from November onwards.
- Slopes: 17
- Lifts: 7
- Height: 1.200 – 1.491 m.
- Open: 22-12-2019 to 20-04-2020 (expectated)
- Ski Day Pass: € 29,00
- Distance Pallanza: 35 km (car: 50 min)
- Place near the ski resort: Stresa
San Domenico is only an hour’s drive from Pallanza and is a wonderful holiday destination all year round. In Winter There is normally a lot of snow; The ski season starts here from the beginning of December and continues until the beginning of May. With 35 km of pristine slopes, San Domenico offers a beautiful resort for beginners, advanced and experts. There is also a ski and snowboard school and Sando SnowPark. San Domenico is a bit more elaborate than the Mottarone and has shops, restaurants and bars.
- Data area: Fraction San Domenico, Varzo, tel: + 39 0324 780868, www.sandomenicoski.com
- Runs: 19
- Lifts: 7
- Height: 1,420-2,500 m.
- Open: 06-12-2019 to 13-04-2020 (expected)
- Ski Day Pass: €31.00-€35.00 (also online)
- Distance Pallanza: 66 km (car: 1 hour and 6 min)
- Place near the ski resort: Varzo (10 km)
The Domobianca ski area is located in the Ossolatal (Vald’Ossola), an hour’s drive from Pallanza. This authentic Italian small but cosy ski resort features 7.5 km of slopes for skiing and snowboarding. Very suitable for children, but also adults come here. There are 3 restaurants and 1 bar.
- Data area: Location Alpe Lusentino, Domodossola, tel: + 39 0324 242722, www.domobianca.it
- Slopes: 12
- Lifts: 6
- Height: 1,088-1,845 m.
- Open: 07-12-2019 to 13-04-2020 (expected)
- Ski Day Pass: €23.00-€29.00
- Distance Pallanza: 53 km (car: 56 min)
- Place near ski resort: Domodossola (11 km)